Thursday, June 7, 2012

"MORE OFFENSE THAN DEFENSE": THANKS DR. HARRIS-PERRY



             After Dr. Harris-Perry appeared as a stand in for Rachel Maddow, I wrote a letter to MSNBC urging the cable news channel to consider giving Dr. Harris-Perry her own show.  I gave various reasons for this addition to the MSNBC “face” of political news/commentary, but the most important plea was personal. I aspire to one day share the public intellectual space with Dr. Harris-Perry, and am always in need of evidence that my dreams are possible.  So, you must know that when Dr. Harris-Perry announced on Twitter (@MelissaHarrisPerry,@MHPShow,and #Nerdland) that she would be getting her own show, I responded with my own twitter campaign by encouraging people to watch.  While, I realize that my little letter made no difference in Dr. Harris-Perry getting her show, nor do I know the results of my twitter campaign to support her, I was glad to see it happen.  Every Saturday and Sunday morning I awake looking forward to the lessons that Dr. Harris-Perry and her panelists share week after week.  Thank you MSNBC and Dr. Harris-Perry!
           
Why did I choose to share my thoughts about the MHP show today?  On Sunday, June 3rd her content reminded me of why I believe Dr. Harris-Perry was fit for this platform.  Whether it was her intention or not, I believe the show was her breakout effort to provide an affirmative voice for our President, Barack Obama.  I am a strong supporter of President Obama and am often frustrated with the discourse surrounding his presidency.  While I agree that we must be critical of his policies, the more vocal republican message is that he is “destroying our country”.  This is not to say that there are not people who do not publicly recognize his decision making (most notably comedian, Bill Maher), however the docile democratic method of “truth telling” is overshadowed by the republican lie.  The reason I appreciated this particular show was because she gave a call to action that served as a worthy affirmation but critical voice where this voice is often silent.  Her most critical point was that President Obama’s campaign must begin to play more offense than defense.  For a “sports President”, this is something surely he can relate to and probably considers on a daily basis.  Why Coach Obama has not called this play, I speculate, will be a fourth quarter takeover strategy.               
           


One of the rare voices that we hear in the 2012 re-election campaign is that we are proud of our president.  I take this opportunity to make my statement, “I am EXTREMELY proud of the job our President is doing”.  For the first time in my young life I feel that my President cares about MY future and I am genuinely invested in being an informed voter.  The MHP show touched upon several affirmative actions’ President Barack Obama has taken to ensure the future of this country.  For those of you who did not watch the show, some of these accomplishments included his social, foreign, and economic policies that move the country toward a more equal society.  The signing of the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, GM Bailout, Killing of Osama Bin Laden and not to mention igniting a national dialogue in support of Same Sex Marriage only touch the surface of his accomplishments.  If you want a more comprehensive list of the President’s accomplishments…GOOGLE IT! 

Two of the most informative portions of the discussion were the application of policies that impact the black community and the commentary from the first African American Governor of Virginia and the nation since Reconstruction, Lawrence Douglas Wilder.  One of the greatest lessons that I have learned through the introduction of President Obama’s leadership is that something does not have to be labeled “Black” to be in support of black people and our community’s progress.  My attention was drawn to the 2008 election because of the racial background of then Senator Obama, but what drives my continued support and desire to learn more about politics is because of his dedication to family, informed leadership, defense of our freedom and genuine love for the American people.     
         
            
It is clear that a conversation about race is one of the most feared dialogues in American society.  This was evident; as Dr. Harris-Perry pointed out in a speech I heard her give, by the fact that President George Bush considered Kanye West’s statement that he did not like black people the lowest point of his presidency.  I cannot relate to people who say “I don’t see race”.  The MHP show not only sees race but is able to articulate effectively how our President’s accomplishments considers race also.  When people do not acknowledge the good work that the first African American President is doing, it reminds me of the constant challenge that face people of color in leadership positions.  Blaxspectation (yep I made that up!) is REAL and Black people in the public eye have no room for error!  I believe that republicans would want President Obama out of office regardless of his race, but I do believe that their hatred for someone who is moving this country forward has some connection to his ethnic background.  More profound in the discussion of our President’s ethnic background in relationship with Blaxspectation is not the Republican Party agenda, as we expect them to hate the president, but mostly is the shift in support of Independent voters who elected him into office.  This is a discussion that I hope we begin to expound upon in the next five months leading up to the November election.       

The conversation on the MHP show at least allows some truth and acknowledgement of success to the progress that President Obama is making toward MY future!  So, I say again THANKS DR. MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY!!!   


CALL TO ACTION:









On Monday, July 2nd at 9am, I encourage us to show support for the president.  I will tweet the below listed hashtags, and I ask you to TWEET and/or RETWEET, along with me.  Let’s not only create a trending topic but clog the world’s Twitter Time Lines with support for the president.  Let our tweets be heard!

I am calling for this national day of recognition to show our appreciation for President Barack Obama’s service to our country and equal justice for all.  I chose this date because it marks the 48th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 being signed into law.  This law outlawed major forms of discrimination against African Americans and women, including racial segregation.  This date recognizes the legislative order that shifted the national consciousness towards right for all people, and connects the legislative order (LilyLedbetter Fair Pay Act) that was amended by President Barak Obama as his first federal statute signed into law after his inauguration.   

On Monday, July 2nd, 2012 please Tweet and RETWEET the following!
#PROUDOFMYPRESIDENT
#ISTANDWITHTHEPRESIDENT
#THANKYOUMRPRESIDENT
#REELECTPRESIDENTOBAMA2012
#AFRICANAMERICANSFORPRESIDENTOBAMA (or your ethnicity of choice)  

No comments:

Post a Comment